Many times it is not a reflection of the graduate themselves, but a reality of what job opportunities are currently available.
Many companies in a variety of industries call Winona home, and many of those companies are employing graduates with technical and trade degrees, diplomas and certificates.
On a Mission:
At Minnesota State College – Southeast Technical, located right here in Winona, we continue to fulfill our mission of providing ‘education for employment’ by providing students with a strong foundation of general and technical education opportunities.
Currently, many of the programs at the college have a 94% or higher job placement rate and some of the programs have employers coming to campus or contacting our instructors looking for graduates. With the current unemployment rate at a low companies are searching for a skilled worker and they look to Southeast Technical.
Stepping Stones to a Better Life
The academic programs at the college are stepping stones to employment and a better life. Our students will enter the workforce with the necessary skills in communication, critical thinking, and technical knowledge to succeed locally, regionally, and globally.
Southeast Technical offers certificates, diplomas and degrees in Accounting, Carpentry, Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Technology, Industrial Technology, Medical Laboratory Technician, Medical Support Careers, Nursing, Radiography, Retail & Sales Management, Truck Driving, and Welding – all programs which can lead directly to almost all of the top 10 high growth, high paying occupations in both states.
Top 10 high growth, high pay occupations in Minnesota through 2022; median annual salary 2014
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers: $ 42,400.09
- Medical Secretaries: $ 38,781.56
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians: $ 44,303.02
- Carpenters: $ 45,881.14
- Physical Therapists: $ 78,215.72
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists: $ 62,931.20
- Radiologic Technologists: $ 61,330.19
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters: $ 66,565.10
- Cost Estimators: $ 59,787.66
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses: $ 41,551.15
Source: Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development Employment Projections
Top 10 high growth, high pay occupations in Wisconsin through 2020; median annual salary 2014
- Carpenters: $42,350
- Medical secretaries: $31,970
- Sale reps: $56,900
- Bookkeeping, accounting, auditing clerks: $34,500
- Registered nurses: $63,260
- Market research analysts, specialists:$50,730
- Customer service reps: $32,420
- Construction laborers: $36,260
- Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers: $39,120
- Elementary school teachers: $57,470
Guest Post: Joanne Thompson is the Director of Marketing at Minnesota State College-Southeast Technical. Joanne also serves on the Winona Chamber of Commerce Business and Education Committee and the Community Relations/Marketing Committee for the United Way of the Greater Winona Area. She is a graduate of Winona State University and resides in Winona.